The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

mealies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

mealies Empty
PostSubject: mealies   mealies Empty11/26/2013, 4:38 pm

Is it just me or mealies just keep on pupating if they're not fed to pets immediately and why do they pupate so fast? Err >__<

Good thing my imacs love the mealy beetles
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

mealies Empty
PostSubject: Re: mealies   mealies Empty11/26/2013, 7:54 pm

Don't they pupate earlier when starved?
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

mealies Empty
PostSubject: Re: mealies   mealies Empty11/26/2013, 8:33 pm

No idea. It's been 3 days since i got them and half of them already pupated lol
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2014-03-18

mealies Empty
PostSubject: Re: mealies   mealies Empty3/23/2014, 6:46 am

i just got two week's worth of them and immediately put them in the fridge. haha.

How big are they? maybe it's coz they're all yay big so they start to pupate.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

mealies Empty
PostSubject: Re: mealies   mealies Empty3/24/2014, 1:52 am

I think so, yeah. I finally got waaay smaller mealies now. All my slings love 'em Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Falcon
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-06-29

mealies Empty
PostSubject: Re: mealies   mealies Empty6/10/2016, 7:23 am

I would be careful giving mealy worms to your scorpions. I had two Lychas Mucronatus a male and a female. The male was found first in my film room and identified on this site a year or so back and shortly after my daughter found a small female in my workshop. I housed them separately and generally fed them with small crickets and they were surviving well, the young female going through a couple of successful molts without problem.

I decided that as they were small I would try mealy worms as their main source of food so I put a few in with them. Sometime afterwards I began to notice that the scorpions were not as alert or moving correctly the seemed to be having trouble walking. On close inspection I noticed that some of their legs were just stumps as if they had been eaten away. Needless to say I could not keep them alive as they could not move well enough to hunt their food so they both eventually died , the male first followed by the female about a week later.

Now the mealy worms may have not been the culprits but I could not think of anything else that had changed or could have affected both scorpions in the same way. I am still angry with myself at my stupidity and sad that I had caused their demise because of the mealy worms if that is why they died.

It has been many months now since they died and I have not been able to find any more to replace them, but I keep looking. I still have my 5 black forest scorpions, I do not know their species yet, but all have been found in my garden or house and two nights ago my daughter spotted another little fellow or lady on the floor at the top of the stairs, its is about the same size as my Lychas Mucronatus male but it does not appear to be of that species . It was very dehydrated and hungry but it has now been watered and fed with some crickets and has recovered. I will post a photo for identification purposes some time soon.
Back to top Go down
teag222
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-07-20

mealies Empty
PostSubject: Re: mealies   mealies Empty7/20/2021, 2:43 am

im personally not the owner of this scorpion im talking about, he Is my boyfriends but I do take care of him from time to time. The scorpion in question is a Male emperor scorpion about a year old. recently we have been noticing him not being as active. he hasn't eaten in about 4 weeks which we know is normal but we have started to become worried. we normally feed him mealworms with a bit of calcium powder that was recommended to us by his breeder. we tried dangling the worms infant of his pincers and mouth but ge just won't eat them, we've even tried to just leave the worms outside of one of his hides to see if he would come out when he got hungry enough. we have been considering switching him back to crickets as he seemed to enjoy the little hunt he gets out of it. any suggestions? (im on here because I feel like id get more helpful advice from some more experienced owners rather than let my boyfriend be stubborn and let the poor guy starve)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mealies Empty
PostSubject: Re: mealies   mealies Empty

Back to top Go down

mealies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: Feeders :: Feeders Questions and Discussion-
Jump to: