The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank

Go down 
+12
sasword_ron
H. laoticus
gromgroms
binksyboy3
kettlehandle
arachnid
bjaeger
JeffX
scorpion111
josh_r
*Connie*
arachnidlover74
16 posters
AuthorMessage
arachnidlover74
Pandinus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-02-25

[HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty
PostSubject: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty2/27/2008, 10:38 pm

If you keep scorpions or tarantulas that require a high level of moisture / humidity here's a really simple tip that you may or may not have already thought of. I currently have a 10 gallon communal Emperor tank with 8 scorpions. I covered the entire top of the tank with a sheet of saran wrap and put a few small slits in it for ventilation. I placed the screen lid on top of the wrap / tank and pulled the wrap tight. It does what it is supposed to do. This is more of a tip for beginners.

If you aren't able to shell out the money for a few incandescent hoods w/ light strips then the saran wrap works like a charm. I also have a heat lamp that is a couple of feet away from the tank but that I shine into one end of the tank at an angle. Surprisingly enough I often see my Emperors up against the glass sunning themselves. THAT is a new one on me. But it has worked well for me thus far. Hope it can help someone else.

jason

Last edited by GS on 3/16/2012, 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated title)
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty2/28/2008, 10:27 am

maybe a heat lamp would be good for my babies as they are PRESSED against the glass to get to the heat from the heatmat
Might have to invest...

xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
josh_r
Pandinus

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty3/2/2008, 5:58 pm

if you are going to wrap the top of your enclosure with plastic or glass and then put a heat light on it, be careful. this setup can easily become an oven! i once killed a tarantula this way when i was younger. ive never done this again. if you cover the tank with glass or plastic, try using fluorescent lighting as it doesnt put out NEARLY as much heat and it will keep the temps in your enclosure at much more desired temps.

-josh
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty4/21/2008, 12:37 pm

this is realy useful since i have kritter keeper.does work like a charm Wink
Back to top Go down
JeffX
Pandinus

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty5/31/2008, 5:39 pm

I use the putting the heat mat under the water bowl which helps out considerably.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty6/5/2008, 12:26 am

You can also use a towel over the enclosure.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
arachnid
Pandinus
arachnid

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty6/13/2008, 8:10 am

or cover and leave only a small space for air to come in and spray water in it!lets make sure that we spray enough water for the moisture inside the tank.
thanks
Back to top Go down
kettlehandle
Pandinus
kettlehandle

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty10/23/2009, 7:19 am

My containers were made with a hole at the top and they retain the humidity very well if I mist it every day [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Skerpi16 This kind of enclosure is brilliant
Back to top Go down
http://www.kettlehandle.com
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty10/23/2009, 2:54 pm

Looks quite funky as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty12/28/2009, 4:02 pm

kettlehandle wrote:
My containers were made with a hole at the top and they retain the humidity very well if I mist it every day [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Skerpi16 This kind of enclosure is brilliant

hate to bump an old topic, but is there any site/location that sells those enclosures cheaply ? or at all?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty12/31/2009, 6:07 pm

here's a site that sells cages like that. They're high quality but expensive.

http://www.tarantulacages.com/terrestrial.html
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty1/11/2010, 11:38 pm

i have that saran wrap.. how about aluminum foil? i'm a newbie Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty1/17/2010, 1:49 am

Should work pretty well. I still say that restricting ventilation is bad and the best way to raise humidity is to just dump water on the substrate or implement a false-bottom system.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty2/16/2010, 4:24 pm

Thats cool but you can start growing mold like that. Another thing is if you dont allow enough air slits you may suffocate your pets. I am not trying to knock your method just tryin to say its a bit dangerous if youre not careful. You can get the desired effects with a false bottom. Its just as easy and way cool looking.
Back to top Go down
josh94
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty6/29/2010, 5:14 pm

goood ideas i may have to try a few
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty2/22/2011, 12:59 am

Sithis wrote:
Thats cool but you can start growing mold like that. Another thing is if you dont allow enough air slits you may suffocate your pets. I am not trying to knock your method just tryin to say its a bit dangerous if youre not careful. You can get the desired effects with a false bottom. Its just as easy and way cool looking.

it would grow mold if you covered part of the lid with a moist towel?

Should I dry out the towel and clean the towel like once a week or something?

Thats what I am doing right now I am using a moist towel covering most of the top of my enclosure and its bumped my humidity up quite a bit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank   [HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank Empty

Back to top Go down

[HOW TO] Retain Humidity in the tank
Page 1 of 1